Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Disapointed at Petstore.

Posted By: mr. bones
Date: Friday, 23 March 2001, at 1:41 p.m.

Today I got home from the local petstore, with what were allegedly 1 skunk loach, 2 tiger loaches, and 3 clowns. So, I whipped out the webcam and took pictures at my new fish, and sent them to my friend who knows about 10 times of what I do about loaches and fish. What does he say? "That's a skunk CORY, and 2 chinese algae eaters, the clowns are real though."

Amazing. I'll be the first to point out I'm no expert on loaches, but after doing a bit of research online, I can safely say the "Skunk cory" looks almost identical to a skunk loach. Skunks are a bit rounder and narrower, but I assumed from the markings and advertisements it might of been a younger one. As for the CAE's (chinese algae eaters), I can't wait till they get big and maul my $85 worth of fish to death like so many fish resource websites proclaim they do.

I can only assume the person who classifies their fish at the petstore thought that due to the CAE's spots and stripes it looked like a tiger, and facial appearance it looked like a loach. I saw a picture of a real tiger loach today. Doesn't even look like a CAE. I also would assume since Skunk Corys and Skunk loaches look alot alike he labeled them as that.

If you thought all that was absurd, get this:While on the phone with the guy who sold me these fish, he said he would take them back after I answered a few things for him. He asked what size my tankw as. 30 Gallons. What tank mates are with the fish (don't mind my lazyness): All community fish. What I feed my fish: Mixed diet of flakes, freeze dried and live variations of worms. Of course these questions were only used as loopholes for his excuses. He claims 20 fish is overloading a 30g..um, no. But anyways, the store REFUSES to take them back unless they're deceased. This is of course the last time I buy anything from that store. Maybe next time I go in they'll have Bala Sharks advertised as Miniature Great White's.

Whew, sorry that turned into a big rant. But as long as I have these fish, could you guys tell me a bit about them? The Skunk cory is cool, the clowns of course are awesome (I read alot about them), and the CAE's are well...good up until they mature I heard. Any light you can shed is very appreciated.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread |