Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Dojo loach's hibernation

Posted By: chisky
Date: Monday, 30 April 2001, at 5:07 p.m.

I am thinking about tubbing my dojo's on my enclosed back porch this summer. I thought I might fatten them up a bit, then in the fall as it cools down, move them into an unheated room in my house. During the winter it is around 62 degrees and if the weather outside gets to 20 below zero fareheit, the room goes down to the upper 50's. Do you think this would be enough to put them into hibernation.

Then the plan was to slowly warm them in the spring and let the sun fall on the tank feed them lots of rich live foods and see if I could get them to breed.

Question? Is that could enough to force hibernation or do I need to put them in my basement that gets down to the 30's in extremely cold weather.

Or do you think just letting them get that cold feeding them sparsly or not at all for sev