Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Re: Injured Weather Loach.

Posted By: ev <eco_evie@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, 14 May 2001, at 9:00 a.m.

hopefully my recent first-time injury experience will help: cory injured by yo-yo (see posts "are yo-yo's aggressive").since loaches, cory's, are sensitive to malachite green & salt, assumed treatment of illness/injury would prob be the same...
-suggest that you keep water aeration high- airstone if possible as well as pump-if using any meds. many decrease oxygen available.
-absolutely agree re: isolating patient. you may have to use broad-spectrum treatment that community shouldn't be exposed to, nature that weaker will get picked on (and eaten).your patient needs stress-free environment.
-cotton fungus may set in as secondary infection.once in, grows fast!!!!!(tho prob slower in non-heated situation).get some batteries in your flashlight for inspections.
-i started with erythromycin since assumed bacteria would be a problem. things quite possibly would have been ok if i hadn't inadvertently contaminated tank. cory seemed to tolerate erythromycin well, but i had airstone in as well as aquafilter. actually 5 days before i screwed up with contamination,wash your hands & equipment well and rinse rinse before contact with patient's tank.
-apparently corys don't like to be medicated. when cotton fungus set in, i used carbon, then neosulfex, supposedly broad-spectrum incl cotton fungus.didn't work.
-watch for cotton fungus. appeared quickly, grew fast.
-not familiar with hex-a-mit, but suggest you have compatible treatment(s) on hand so if secondary infection sets in, you're not going nuts at 2 a.m.
good luck.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.