Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Classification of Botias.....

Posted By: Mike Ophir (different comp.) <ophir@wn.net>
Date: Thursday, 31 May 2001, at 9:09 a.m.

Hello to all,
I have been working on the classification of Botias over the last week or so and have written an article on it. I have been researching on how various species of Botia have been being classified and have observed the anatomy of various Botia species such as Modesta, sidthimunki and lecontei.
I have made interesting observations on the way that members of the Modesta complex differ in fin shape than say members of the Hymenophysa complex. I have also made an intersting observation on the flexibility of Botias.

Botias of the Modesta complex have a very compressed body, meaninng they are very bony and not flexible, while members of the Pulchra complex, which are also members of the subgenus Sinibotia, are less bony, making them able to twist and t