Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Cobitis species loach?

Posted By: Laura <stella1609@hotmail.com>
Date: Sunday, 8 July 2001, at 8:01 p.m.

I bought this little loach yesterday, thinking it would be a cinch to id him when I got home (the lfs was calling him a "species of kuhli loach"). Yeah, right. If you guys could give me a hand on this, I would REALLY appreciate it! I am kind of a new loach enthusiast, so I'm not really knowledgeable about the info you need to id them. The best I can give you is a basic physical description. He is a long, thin loach with a flattened head. He is spotted on top (very clearly defined dots, not blotches, with each spot being ~1-2 mm) and he has a white belly. He has three pairs of barbells. From my research so far, I believe him to a be some species of Cobitis, but I could certainly be wrong on this one!

TIA for info,
Laura