Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

New 90 Gal setup with Sand (Long)

Posted By: Jason Caldwell <jason-caldwell@mediaone.net>
Date: Thursday, 19 July 2001, at 12:58 p.m.

hi All,
First, I have be reading this news group since December and have thoroughly enjoyed the interaction and the knowledge that has been shared.
I currently have a 29Gal (3 Goldfish 3-5" and 1 6" pleco) and a 10Gal (3 clown loaches refered to as "the ladies") but I am getting a new 90 Gal (Pick up stand on Saturday and Tank on Tuesday!!) so I will be able to setup the tank on the 28th of July.

I am going to try sand this time around instead of the gravel. I like the look of sand and my 3 clown loaches (currently in the only ones in the 10G awaiting their move - 1.5" each) should enjoy the sand more. A question I have concerning sand is: I would like to use snails to aid me in sifting through the sand. Any recommendation on type of snails for this purposes (and to provide a tasty snack for my clown loaches if they are so inclined)

I plan on getting 3 more clown loaches (bring total to 6) and my 6" common Pleco will go in the 90Gal as well. My wife likes Chiclids, are there any recommedations for Chiclids that will go well with my clown loaches and my water chemistry:
Why water is:
PH: 6.8 to 7.2, GH is low and KH is low as well (I don't know the numbers off hand but it is only 2 drops to change the water the color for the tests)
What I plan to use in the 90G - I will be using a HOT magnum pro(currently on the 10G for 3 months) and a new Emporer 400, Powerhead for circulation, fake plants, plastic caves, bubble diver that my son likes and a small piece of drift wood from the 29G for my pleco and sand for substrate. I want to let things balance before I add any new fish beyond the 3 loaches and the 1 pleco.

Water changes: Anyone have issues using a python and adding the declor/dechoromine right before filling the new water? The bottle says it detoxifies/nutralizes under 30 seconds.

Rocks - which rocks are safe for aquariums. How can I test the rocks for safety. My wife wants to use aquarium sealants to make caves and such with rocks from outside.

I have been keeping fish for a full 10 months now and had thoroughtly enjoyed myself. I still have much to learn and I am looking for any insight/questions/concerns before I embark on my 90G tank. I hope everything makes sense, if not let me know and I will try to clarify as best I can. Thank you all for your input in advance.

Messages In This Thread