Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Shall we get to the bottom of clicking then?

Posted By: ben <anonymous@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Tuesday, 31 July 2001, at 10:40 p.m.

So, how do loaches click? Does anyone know for sure? Baensch's atlas seems to think that it's to do with their subocular spines, but I reckon that's crap. I've also heard that it comes from bursting air bubbles, but where do they get the air from in the first place, and why would they bother bursting air bubbles when they're concntrating on devouring shrimp pellets? And since they can click without having a surface (like a pellet) upon which to do it, like when they're chasing each other around, they must be able to make the *whole* sound just by themselves.

To me it sounds like a similar sound to us cracking our knuckles, so perhaps if someone had some diagrams of the bone structure of their mouths (probably Mike Ophir :)) we could make some headway. IME the clicking is always related to a mouth movement.

This is a pretty disjointed post I admit, but I guess it's a start. I'd like to get to the bottom of the topic, so why not share your own experiences and opinions with clicking?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.