Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

To Treat or Not?

Posted By: Christine <giblaut@yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, 29 August 2001, at 12:17 p.m.

Hello,
First, I"ll give some background. I have recently set up a 50 gallon--1 week ago. However, I used old gravel and rocks and plants and some old water from my smaller established aquariums. I have a Fluval 304 with new filtration materials, but I took the "dirty" poly-fiber filters from two over-the-side Whisper filters and put them in the bottom compartment of the Fluval to help introduce good bacteria. My water is slightly hard and pretty close to neutral in PH.

The 50 has more fish in it than is ideal at this stage, but I broke my 10 gallon while I was moving stuff out of it, so I had to put the fish into the 50. (I also have a 20 gal tall.) I have 3 modestas (2-3 inches), 1 sailfin pleco (3 inches), 4 dwarf gouramis, 1 male betta, 1 pictus cat (2.5 inches), and 4 kuhlis.

I previously had 2 modestas and when I moved them to the 50, they REALLY seemed so much happier. I wanted 3 total, so I bought the 3rd one on Monday (I was afraid I wouldn't see them in the LFS again). This one is from the same tank and from the same batch that the first 2 were from, just purchased about 2 weeks later. The new modesta is smaller and definitely skinnier than the ones I've had for a couple of weeks. The new modesta, also, I noticed last night, has 3 or 4 small white, ich-like spots on its fins.

So, my question is, should I treat this? Should I just continue to monitor the situation?

Thanks, I hope this doesn't seem like too stupid a question!

Christine

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | <