Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

2 Questions

Posted By: Bob Mosher <bobmosh@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sunday, 2 September 2001, at 1:28 p.m.

Greetings!!

I hope everyone is having a nice Labor Day weekend.

I'm thinking of adding 3 Clown Loaches to my tank, with at goal of around 6 down the road. (I lost all my other ones to Ich, BUT learned a lot and am trying to avoid a repeat performance) I'm learning to ask a lot more questions before I buy. The LFS has 6 nice 3" ones. They said that they've had them for 3 weeks and that they had a small run-in with ich when they first arrived, but that they had been ich free for the past 2 weeks. They looked ok to me..

Here are my 2 questions:

1 - I have 5 golden algae eaters and 1 pleco. The person at the store said that the algae eaters would compete for food with my new loaches and basically starve them. He recommended that I keep the pleco, but trade in the 5 algae eaters for store credit toward my loaches. What do you think? They've done such a good job with the algae so far. Can I keep one of them, or should I trade in all 5?

2 - I keep my Ph at 7.0 at home (our water's around 7.6 from the tap, but I keep it down with PhDown and stabilizer). The store doesn't treat their water at all and keep is high. Will this change be too much of a shock, stressing them, and bringing the all mighty Ich back???? (All my other readings are normal and I keep the tank around 80 degrees)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! THANKS

Bob

Messages In This Thread

View Thread |