Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

I can't keep clown loaches alive!

Posted By: alice <alice@alicepeacock.com>
Date: Friday, 7 September 2001, at 1:45 a.m.

I'm new to having fish and have been operating under my aquarium store guy's advice as I go about learning and taking care of them. I have a 10 gallon tank (am graduating to at least a 20 gallon in a few months) that contains the following: 2 dwarf Guaramis, 4 white cloud mountain minnows, 1 neon (that schools with the minnows) and a small algae-eating guy. Until 3 days ago I also had added 3 small (1 1/2") clown loaches to the community tank. I have a bit of a spiral snail problem so I've bought clown loaches once before to clean up the tank. I love watching them - they're my new favorite fish! I'd love to have an all-clown loach tank but I can't seem to keep them alive...I don't want
to experiment anymore...I'm really sad about losing these little guys!

It's the same scenario that happened before...my loaches got white specks on them that my aquarium guy said was ich. I bought Quick Cure and treated the tank and just yesterday found out that clown loaches are very sensitive to medication and I may have been hurting them more! They were moved to my hospital tank and the temp is around 80-81 degrees. I lost two of them yesterday (so fast!) and the 3rd is a fighter and hanging on. I've always done frequent water changes in my 10 gallon tank realizing that since it's small it required more work. I haven't tested the PH but always use Aqua Safe when I change water. Am I just trying to have too many fish in that small a tank? Is my water not warm enough in the 10 gallon (it's at 79 degrees)? Could it be a PH issue? (my other fish are seemingly thriving) Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.