Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

River-Tank 2.0

Posted By: Martin Thoene <gkadar@direct.ca>
Date: Tuesday, 25 September 2001, at 5:01 p.m.

Finally got my River-Tank set up in Toronto.

The 65 formerly housed some Cichlids which now reside in the 6' tank we got given. That came with a nasty steel stand so we bought a cabinet and moved it onto this a couple of weeks ago. 3 bags of Playsand went in after siliconing in masses of cork as I previously posted. We gradually introduced the fish, but couldn't put in the plants until we had decent lighting. The tank came with a 6' unit containing 2 three-foot tubes. Not enough lighting for plants. This weekend we went to Big-Al's and bought 2 of the Allglass 110W Compact flourescent units. Man, these things are BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!

I moved over the plants, attaching many small ones to the cork "tree-trunks I had created and to the pieces stuck to the tank's rear. Looks really cool, and the fish obviously love it as the Pike Cichlid has coloured up amazingly and looks better than we've ever seen her.

These lights really bring out the fish's natural colors.I'm impressed as I had not previously seen this type of lighting used in Great Britain. I'd say that bang for yer buck they are excellent.

SO! now we have an empty 65, so yesterday I drained it down (fun removing peat pads from under the gravel). I removed all the gravel and installed the original River-Tank manifold, hooked up the new Aquaclear 802's (that were purchased using credit from the sale of the fish that came with the 6 footer) and then re-installed the gravel. I didn't clean this, just swilled it around before removal, then removed the dirty water, as I wanted to retain bacteria.Also retained the tank's original filtration.

I then set about decorating the tank with the stones, pebbles and gravel, plus driftwood we collected on our trip to Lake Superior. The tank looks really great with this mixed reddish-pink and grey granite and far prettier than the set up I had in Britain.

I'll put the Hillstreams over from their current home in a few days. They are in a 30 at the moment and spend all day bitching at one another. The extra space will do them good.

Martin.

Messages In This Thread