Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Martin and Joe...I still have itchy fish.

Posted By: Cybermeez <Cybermeez@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 1 October 2001, at 11:38 p.m.

Hi guys,

I did the 2nd week long course of CopperSafe at 83F degrees. After a big water change before switching medicines, I began dosing the tank with Clear-Ich (Quninie w/Gentian Violet). Tomorrow will be the last day of the usual 3 day course.

As before, along with the itching the only outward signs of disease I see are a little extra slime on the littlest Clowns, while the Corys and Plecos have frayed fins. I see no ich-like cysts, no golden velvet-like coating and no other parasites visible the the naked eye. What the #%*&@ is this scourge in my tank?

I've been doing some reading and often see Formalin and Seachem's Cupramine mentioned as treatments for particularly virulent parasite infestations.

What I've read of Formalin scares me because of the risk of burns, especially since I have sensitive clowns, Plecos and Corys in my tank. Cupramine is a buffered amine-complexed form of copper that (according to Seachem) is more effective and even safer than chelated copper like CopperSafe, but I have never used it before.

I feel like I'm fumbling in the dark here. I don't know how to help my little friends and I certainly don't want to make matters worse, either through in-action or the wrong action. Where should I go from here?

Thanks,
Robin

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return&nb