Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Fish AIDS?

Posted By: Dr. Thoene-Momfish <gkadar@idirect.ca>
Date: Monday, 15 October 2001, at 10:54 a.m.

Has anyone done any research or read about the possibility of the equivalent of HIV in fish?

Recently we had to euthanize an adult Acarychthys heckeli male. Initially when I first purchased the pair they were babies. But they came in with Cammallanus worms. Treatment was a very long drawnout affair and it was only after 3 months that I was sure the two fish were clear.

They both grew normally after this and reached an adult size. Then a few months ago the male developed 'hole in the head' disease. This was seemingly successfully treated with Metronidazole. However, after the fish was transfered to a new, much larger aquarium, he developed ulcers in the caudal region, beneath one gill and on the top of his head. These were not 'hole in the head' lesions. Metronidazole had no effect and I was loathe to try other antib