Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Clown Loach vs. Parasite from Hell *PIC*

Posted By: Cybermeez <cybermeez@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, 16 October 2001, at 5:46 p.m.

It's been over 2 months now and some of the fish in my tank are still flashing and rubbing against the rocks like mad. None of the fish have had any of the tell tale white, salt-like cysts for quite some time now so I'm wondering if maybe they had more than one problem going on. H*ll, I don't know.

I've got several species of sensitive fish, so salt and Malachite Green are out, and I'm running out of treatment options. I'm going to try and attach a photo of the most severly affected fish (a baby Clown Loach) in the hope that someone may recognize what I'm dealing with.

Up until now I've tried 3 main medications -- Copper, Quinine, and a the one I'm using now (Formalite 3) is Formaldehyde Copper mix. I've done several rounds of each of these medicines and none of them has completely eradicated the parasite. I have ordered a few other medications from the "That Fish Place" website to beef up my arsenal and will try one at a time (assuming they are safe) if the fish continue to itch. These are the medications I'm considering and if you have used them with sensitive fish I'd like to hear about your experiences.

1) Paragon by Aquatronics -- Contains Dimethyl (2,2,2, -Triloro-1 Hydroxyethyl), Phosphonate, Nitrofurazone, Sodium Chloride, Isoniazid, Neomycin and Kanamycin Sulfate
2) Paragon 2 by Aquatronics -- Contains Metronidazole, Furazolidone, Neomycin Sulfate, Naladixic Acid, and Sodium Chloride
3) Life Bearer by Aquarium Products -- Contains 0.0-dimethyl, 1-hydroxy, 2-trichloromethyl phosphonate
4) Paraform by Aquatronics -- Formaldehyde

I've been hearing some things about medications containing organophosphates (Trichlorfon AKA Dylox) like Paragon and Life Bearer, and that silver scaled fish are very sensitive to it. Would it be bad for any of the fish I have? I have in my tank: CLOWN LOACHES, ZEBRA PLECOS, CORYDORAS CATFISH, an OTOCINCLUS CATFISH, and WHITE CLOUD MOUNTAIN MINNOWS. I've never used Trichlorfon and don't really know much about it so I could use some input.

Another Photo of Him

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg |