Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Re: salt kills parasites?

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@onlinetoday.com>
Date: Friday, 19 October 2001, at 2:38 a.m.

Yes, as a temporary "bath." I would not use regular table salt though, as it may contain "YPS"(?) -- something like "Yellow Prussiate of Soda" (please read the label). This chemical prevents the salt from caking. When combined with water, however, this substance becomes an acid that can make life hard on fish or even kill more delicate species. Other brands of table salts can contain another variety of anti-caking agent (the name escapes me right now, but it's a mile long). IMHO, using table salt with iodine added should not be a concern, even though it's been stated for years that iodine will kill fish (I believe it's always been the YPS instead). I've personally used iodin