Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Help! H. Stephensonii Or Somethin Else?

Posted By: Matt <jejaka_segak_kacak_lagi_menarik@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tuesday, 23 October 2001, at 3:25 p.m.

Ok, can anyone point a name for this species, i found them with a shipment of Homaloptera Stephensonii, there were 3 of them the largest is about 2.5" while others a little bit more than 2". At first, I thought I've got myself H. Stephensonii but I selected them out because of their marking difference ( brown with faint dark blotches edged with a yet slightly darker shade, colorless fins with brownish black marking, the usual color for H. Stephensonii ). But when they were netted out, I noticed that they've become completely black with paler marking ( color-reverse, is how i describe it ).

They looks like H. Stephensonii, they have an inverted "V" shaped line with the lowest part of the "V" pointing at their eye, shiny whitish cream blotches exactly underneath the dorsal fins rays. Generally they looks like H. Stephensonii except for the slight marking difference ( same darker blotches, edged with darker shades, or at times, indistinct lines going from the end of the skull toward the tail ), but whats amazing about them is that they change color very quickly.

At one time they can be plain olive brown with darker inconspicous markings, except for the black specks along their lateral line, then they change into light brown with darker brown marking edged with brick red and they even can reverse the color to dark brown blotches edged with lighter shade. Heck, they even can be dark brown with brick red blotches.

Even their fins ( pectoral, dorsal and caudal ) color change quickly, from colourless with black stripes and mottling, to brick red-orange mottled with brown. At other time they may even reverse the background color to dark ash gray, while the dark blotches becomes lights cream.

I know it's possible for a fish to drastically change color according to their mood or when they are mating/ fighting, but I only seen cuttlefish and squid change quickly as these species. It may sound a little bit too hard to believe but it's really happening. i would like to know if this is just a plain ordinary H. Stephensonii variation or something else and if they are, is it normal for H. Stephensonii to quickly and dramatically change color and why the heck do they do that? It just freak me out, becos they are not even shy at all, unlike my gastromyzons, they wont even flee if I suddenly move infront of the front glass, when the gastromyzon would be long gone, they just stay put. I really need some answer, thanks!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.