Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Lost A Clown Today :-(

Posted By: Cybermeez <cybermeez@aol.com>
Date: Friday, 26 October 2001, at 8:14 p.m.

I lost one of my medium sized Clowns today. :-(
She was the middle fish of a trio of Clowns and about 3 inches long. I'd had her wither her 2 friends for almost a year.

She did not appear to be sick this morning at breakfast, but I found her floating lifeless on the bottom of the tank this afternoon. The body had some white blotches mostly on the black stripes but I think they were a post-mortem phenomenon. She felt smooth with no cuts, scrapes or nipped fins and appeared well fed with no external signs of illness.

Her death comes on the heels of losing 17 other fish. 14 of them were newly introduced Kerri Tetras and 3 were White Clouds I'd had for sometime.

I had treated the tank about 10 days ago with Trichlorfon (Life Bearer) to get rid of a persistent parasite problem, and followed it up with anti-biotic flake to prevent secondary infection.

I treated the Kerris prophylactically in the Q-Tank and within a day they began dying. They were also engaged in some serious battles over territory so I though it was stress from fighting. When I was down to 9 out of an original 15 I moved 6 of the healthiest looking Kerris into the main tank (with the Clowns and White Clouds) to try and prevent further casualties. All but one of them eventually died and within a couple of days the White Clouds began to succumb.

It's been about a week since the last does of Trichlorfon and 2 days ago they finished the course of antibiotic flake. I have changed the water twice in the past week following the Trichlorfon and put carbon in the filter to remove any residual medication. Now that I've lost a Clown I'm beginning to think the Trichlorfon may be the cause of all these deaths. The only other thing I can think of is some internal bacterial infection like septicemia that does not respond to the tetracycline in the antibiotic flake. The other fish living in the tank (including 3 Plecos, 2 White Clouds, 2 Clowns and 1 Oto) seem to be fine...for now anyway.

I have 2 baby Clowns in another Q-Tank and had also treated them with Trichlorfon and antibiotic flake. One of them seems to be doing well looking fat and happy with bright colors. The other looks very thin and has been rather quiet. He may even be off his food.

This had been so frustrating! I finally seem to have gotten rid of a very virulent parasite only to begin losing fish suddenly and with no discernible cause. Any thoughts?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.