Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

"loachy dance" possibly fright behaviour?

Posted By: ben <anonymous@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Saturday, 10 November 2001, at 4:44 a.m.

I've read a lot about the loachy dance, and it's usually intepreted as playing, a good thing.

I've also read a lot about their desire for tunnels, and 3 or 4 months ago I installed 6 feet of pvc piping, all connected into a network, into their tank.

They took to it immediately and I haven't seen them since. I haven't seen them do the loachy dance once since the tunnels were installed, but tunnels shuld make the clowns happier.

Tonight I took the tunnels out of the tank and they've been doing the dance for over an hour non-stop. But I would have thought that such a disruption would have made them less happy, so why would they do the dance? Could it actually be fright behaviour?

I recall Bob D writing that his clowns only do the dance when he does a water change. He puts it down to turning off the filters. Could it be anxiety instead?

Does anyone have experiences to share, that is, if you get the gist of what I'm asking. (I don't think I explained it very well :))

It would be worth finding out what the dance really meant. anxiety or play? I'm inclined towards anxiety. Sure, clowns have personality, but I don't know if that can extend to ecstatic outbursts of joy at the seemingly most inappropriate times.

I look forward to reading any replies :)

Ben

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by