Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Lizard Loach

Posted By: Hans <habei@REMOVEMEgmx.de>
Date: Monday, 12 November 2001, at 8:57 a.m.

Hi everyone,

hopefully I have now IDed my Lizard Loaches. I think it`s Homaloptera smithi. The following article was helpful:

Kottelat, M., 1998 Homaloptera yuwonoi, a new species of hillstream loach from Borneo, with a new

generic name for H. thamicola (Teleostei: Balitoridae). Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwat. 9(3):267-272.

Plus another article by Alfred from `67 cited in the paper by Kottelat. There are three sp. of H. which are related quite closely to each other. Thats H. nebulosa, smithi and tweediei. So not necessarily all fish sold as LLs are H. smithi. This correlates with some other info on this fish. In the Baensch Atlas is a pic of it and the origin is described as Thailand. Also Kottelat mentions it to be one of the widest distributed Balitorid in SE Asia. So its quite likely that this sp. has been exported for the aquarium trade.

Hans

Messages In This Thread