Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

It's Spring Jim, but not as we know it....

Posted By: Martin Thoene <past1@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thursday, 22 November 2001, at 3:58 p.m.

WE GOT MORE BABIES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

And they ain't chenis either! Now we've definitely got Homaloptera zollingeri. Just like you said, they were dark grey, then we saw ones with defined bands of grey and off-white. Also, they don't have yellow tails.

We have babies that are identical in size to the second (or possibly third) spawn of chenis, but they are totally different in appearance and also swimming action (i.e. they don't crawl over rocks). Just this afternoon we were checking them out. Momfish put some crumbled flake in the tank and they all went wild.....then we saw even more of the newbies EXCEPT we then saw even smaller ones, so it looks like there's possibly at least two spawns worth!

The cheni parents are presently in a sort of "stand-offish" mood, with the Alpha male chasing both his rival and the Female, so I'm not expecting any spawning there for a while. The zollingeri however, are acting funky, and I think maybe getting amorous. We haven't noticed anything resembling courtship before with them and we kinda thought they might even be the same sex, based on shape but obviously not. The color difference might be sexual I suppose?

We're guesstimating that we've maybe 60 babies in this tank now.....HELP!

Anyway, I took another film to be developed today. I'll have it back on CD on Saturday, so
BOB! (yeah wake up!) expect more pics heading your way :)

Now.....we just have to work on the Beaufortia :)

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.