Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Hillstreams? They call me Mellow Yellow....

Posted By: Martin Thoene <past1@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sunday, 9 December 2001, at 8:36 p.m.

.....quite rightly.

Good old song that :)

Well today we made the trip out to Big Als in Ajax, Ontario to deliver Alex's gorgeous Kribensis that he had bred and check out the Hillstreams that Ron there had told us he'd got in.

Just like he said there was a yellow fish in the batch (he'd had several, but sold them already).

They appeared at first glance to all be Beaufortia, but on closer inspection I perceived they were probably two different species because some were less deep bodied than Beaufortia with slightly longer noses.

The yellow guy was really glowing a sort of Buttercup yellow in the tank, plus there was another yellowish smaller fish as well.

OK, OK, I said I wasn't getting any more Hillies for a while, but Alex suggested that this fish was too unusual to miss and his tank where the Kribs came from could make a good temporary home till we have room for them :) All the convincing I needed!

Momfish, who had come along as the common-sense fish buying Police rolled her eyes and we got the two yellow guys.

They are in Alex's tank now and I've decided the little one is definitely a Beaufortia. This is because he's changed to a regular color, but the really yellow one is still that color with some slightly darker marbling showing. It appears to be the longer nosed species.

We showed Ron some of our Hillstream pictures and he is going to see if he can get Homaloptera orthogoniata in as he has seen "Saddleback Loach" on supplier's lists. He said he'll let us know if he gets anything "interesting" in this line.

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.