Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

New hillstream...

Posted By: Jim Powers <jimpowers@prodigy.net>
Date: Saturday, 5 January 2002, at 5:28 p.m.

I know I'm weak but....Today while going to a lfs, the only one in my town that ever carries hillstreams, I happened to notice a very small(2cm) little guy that looked different than the usual beaufortia that they get. The body was more elongated like P. cheni. It was on the glass so I had to get the owners son to chase it off the glass for a peak at the rest of the fish. It was a very attractive little guy with a dark base color and bright yellow dots, almost like a gold dot pleco(species?). The tail had a bluish hue to it in the center. Quite an attractive little fish. Of course the words "bag it up" could not come out of my mouth fast enough. Since it is about the size of some of my baby chenis (some of which will be getting a new home soon) I thought I could add it to the river tank. Upon checking further, I found out there were two more in the tank that had come in as the usual "borneo sucker". But I was sort of strong, and only bought one. After checking Bob's Loach gallery again, I see it is one of the species that he has.Also, Mia had a pics of the same species on a link she provided a while back. I had originally thought they were G. punctalatus, but I'm not sure now. Since they came in with beaufortia, I suspect they may be some Chinese species. So anyone wanting some cool hillstreams, keep checking the beaufortia shipments. There seems to be some interesting contaminants this year.

Messages In This Thread