Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Eyeball theory

Posted By: Dr. Momfish-Thoene <past1@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tuesday, 8 January 2002, at 3:35 p.m.

I was wondering if there may be a valid reason for why people set up the rivertank with right to left or left to right flow. I was wondering if perhaps it has something to do with how each of us looks at, let's say, a face.

I pulled out 'Manwatching' by Desmond Morris to see if he could shed any light on the subject. According to a study done on people looking at a photograph of a human face, the eyes would mainly travel from eye to eye to mouth, around and around the face. Depending on whether someone is left or right dominant, I suppose they would shift their focus from the subject's left eye to right eye to mouth, the watched person's left eye being right across from the watcher's right eye, or vice versa for someone who is left dominant. This would correspond to right to left (or left to right) waterflow in a tank that was being viewed. The origin of the water flow being the start of the movement and the sponge filters being the termination of the movement. Logically we would observe the tank from the perspective of where the water 'starts' to where it 'ends'.

Hope that wasn't confusing. Sort of the biological basis of aesthetics in tank design.....

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.