Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Hermit Modesta

Posted By: Tim Gibson <funcrew@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, 10 January 2002, at 12:17 p.m.

I brought home 3 modestas about a month ago; two 3-inchers and a 2-incher. The dominant modesta immediately took up station, hovering verital (nose-up) in a corner of the tank behind a large stump. He wouldn't move to eat or anything else. At that time, the 2 junior modestas would lie on the sand underneath him to pay homage. When my new baby clowns entered the tank, they would go hover with the modesta until he chased them off, or they got bored. The other 2 modestas now explore the tank freely.

After 3 weeks of this, fearing starvation for the poor guy, I started chasing him out of his corner (by tapping on the outside of the glass) during feeding time, hoping he would eat and live. After a dozen repeats of this, he finally gave up that corner, and hides some other place where I can't find him. I still don't se