Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

new loaches with ich

Posted By: Robin <rnorris@chass.utoronto.ca>
Date: Friday, 11 January 2002, at 8:57 p.m.

Last week I got my first two clown loaches, and now both have just a few white spots. They seem to be trying to scratch against a rock, so I think it's ich. I have tried to read around on this wonderfully helpful website, as well as others, and here are a few questions -
(1) It seems possible that they may be having this minor outbreak simply because of the stress of moving. If that is the case, is it better to go ahead and treat it before it gets worse, or should I leave the water as is to let them settle in?
(2) I like the heat (>86F) and salt idea better than a harsher chemical treatment, but 2.75-3 teaspoons of salt per gallon sounds like an awful lot! How gradually should it be added?
I already love my new loaches - I have spent hours watching them this past week! So I would really appreciate it if any of you with more experience could give me your advice.
Thank you!
Robin

PS - Other info if you need it to form an opinion... this is only a ten gallon tank, which has been established for over a year. I only had a few danios before, but eventually they all died, and I thought I was ready to move on to something better. Before getting the loaches last weekend, I tested my water. The GH and PH were a bit high, so I lowered the PH. (I think the snail problem I had could have been affecting the GH? But the loaches seem to have already eaten all the snails they could find.)

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.