Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

What are you??

Posted By: Isla <kirk_isla@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 18 January 2002, at 11:56 a.m.

Well I picked up my 4 supposed botia striata this afternoon - gawd only knows what they are but even me (the severe novice) knows theyre not stiata - not unless the juveniles change dramatically.

They were labelled in the shop as 'tiger loaches' which to me is another name for macracantha - Ive searched the loach a-z but cant find a match. They have the body shape and body markings of the Green Threadfin Loach but the head pattern on mine is different with a prodominent black line running through the eye towards the nose and the caudal and dorsal fins are also striped. They also have a spot on the body just before the caudal fin (similar to that of the zipper loach) which is a solid black spot with an underlying re