Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Pavlov's loaches?

Posted By: Tim Gibson <funcrew@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, 21 January 2002, at 10:19 a.m.

As an experiment, I have been lightly tapping the blind (painted black) sides of my loach tank whenever I feed them at the surface, but NOT when giving sinking food. After 2 weeks, tapping at any random time will bring at least half of the tank population (modestas, clowns, YoYo's, B splendida, B beauforti, B helodes) to the surface, eagerly looking for food.

Last night, I dropped a small chunk of freeze-dried (floating) tubifex worms through the feeding gap in the hood (no noise). Didn't tap the glass. The loaches immediately smelled the food, and swam straight to the front glass/substrate area, searching furiously.

For several minutes, the loaches searched in vain at the bottom - smelling the food, but not finding it.

Finally, I tapped lightly on the side glass. Within seconds, my boss modesta shot