Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Notes on Inter-Species Loach Fraternization

Posted By: Tim Gibson <funcrew@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, 24 January 2002, at 10:39 a.m.

A lot of you have posted about your clowns all speeping in a pile-up, the cave the modestas sleep in, etc.

In my tank, there are 8 various-size caves. Aside from feeding time, my clowns, YoYos, modestas, and splendidas socialize in twos or threes, or fours of seemingly random species mixes. With 3 to 5 of each species, it is rare to see all individuals together, with the exception of the clowns occasionally.

The YoYos and spledidas seem to burrow more, and are less inclined to feed from the surface, but still rub shoulders with all the others in the caves during the daytime.

The hyperactive tigers, B. helodes and B. beauforti, bully their way through all the caves periodically, probably to make absolutely sure nobody else manages to get a scrap of food, or a moment's rest. They are always first at the scene of any feeding, and click more (eating floating flake food) than all the others combined. In all, the tiger botias have few social graces compared with the other species. Boss modesta (the one who almost died of starvation until I chased him out of his corner) is the only other loach in the tank that will stand up to the tigers.

All my fish are juveniles - the largest is Boss Modesta, "Saturn 5" at 3 inches.

I'm currently designing a cascading, multi-section river tank for these guys. I will post a sketch for comments and advice here later.

Messages In This Thread