Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Skinny clowns, but they're eating?!?

Posted By: Karen <k.broussard@lycos.com>
Date: Friday, 1 February 2002, at 12:03 a.m.

Hi! I'm new here but I love this site!!!!!!

I have a school of five loaches, one who is new to the group, about 2 inches long, and the other four I have had for 2 months. They are about 1.5 inches. Two of them started out small and kinda skinny, and one who was full and round is getting thin along the topline. The fourth is O.K. They all eat well, with little potbellies showing after they eat. My tank has live plants and lots of hidey-holes, all water parameters are good, I do frequent water changes, and temp is 81 F.

I give them a variety to eat, including frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, freeze-dried tubifex, shrimp pellets and flake food. They eat everything, but I can't seem to get them to fill out. Is this an internal parasite? They have not had ich and have no visible signs of disease other than being thin.

If it is, what can I do about it? Specifically what med to use, and should I remove them from my community tank and treat only the skinny ones? I would hate to treat all my fish for the three clowns that appear sick. The other fish in my tank include Australian rainbows, barbs and neon tetras. I do have a tank that I could set up temporarily for them to treat with meds, but would removing them from the main tank stress them out too much?

I will stop rambling now, I am SO attached to them and would hate to lose them..... Clowns are so hard to find here in Texas!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.