Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Botia Dario

Posted By: Sabine <sabine@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Saturday, 2 February 2002, at 8:30 p.m.

Hello All

I have been to the fish shop today and wanted to buy some Botia Striata, but they didn't have any. They had 2 Botia Darios instead.
I read up on the Striatas before I went into the shop, but knew nothing about the Darios. I know Loaches are social, so I bought both (even though one of them wasn't looking too good, but it was the only 2 they had).
I put them in the tank and they were both hiding for about 30mins, but they are out and about now.
Now my questions:
- what do they like to eat ? I saw them eating some bits which fell off a plant. They were really keen on those. Are these loaches vegetarian ?

- I will be adding 2 yo-yo loaches later on and I only have a 96l tank. Do I really need to have 5 darios to keep them happy ? Or should I just add one (if I ever find them in a shop again)

- On Loaches On-Line it says, that these are the most fearless off all loaches, but these 2 seem to scare easily ? Or is this just a case of needing to get used to a new tank ?

- Loaches on line also says they like their water at 80F. Mine is 76. Is that too cold for them ? Would it be better if I raise it to 78F ? I have Otos in there and I am not sure if the Otos can cope with 80F.

Thanks
Sabine

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.