Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

need lighting suggestions for a 50 gal

Posted By: Cinder <cinderqh@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 5 February 2002, at 5:23 p.m.

Hi all. I know that this is a very resourceful bunch, so I'm going to ask a more general question, but yes, there will be botias in the tank!

I am setting up a 50 gal tank. (This is not my first tank, but the biggest I've kept before was a 30 gal long) It came with a single bulb strip light. I had hoped to add a double bulb shop light behind it, but there isnt enough room between the existing strip light and the filters.

Just putting a shop light on there is a start (without the single bulb strip), but it still isnt enough wattage for a planted tank (well, its ok for some things, but I really want a minimum of 2 watts per gal). Plus, this is my living room show tank and I'd prefer something that looked a little nicer.

The original thought was that the black single strip would sit in front of additional lighting and partially 'hide' it. I only have 4.5" of space for another fixture on the tank top. Does anyone have any ideas for more wattage for under $50 or so? I also am not a Ms Fixit, so any wiring/constructing will have to be kept to a minumum :-)

I've been hearing alot about the compact flourescents...what size/types of fixtures do they come in?

Messages In This Thread