Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

ICH meds for clown loaches

Posted By: Shane <ssstewart4@attbi.com>
Date: Wednesday, 13 February 2002, at 4:17 p.m.

I bought 3 new clown loaches 10 days ago. They are about 1" long each. I have them in a 20 US gal tank for quarantine. I noticed ICH on one of them about 4 days ago and started treatment with Formalite 2. I have since noticed ich on one other as well. I have treated with the meds twice now and the loaches are very active and have very good color, they appear unaffected by the meds or the ich.

I have read the ICH section of LOL and also searched old threads but did not find any answer as to which meds are the most effective. I got this one on the reomendation of my LFS. I have never in 4 years and 8 other loaches had ich in a tank so I dont have any experience with this.

I normally keep the qtine tank at 82F but have now turned it up to 84F. This tank is cycled and tests show 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, and <10 ppm nitrate. I normally do 20% water changes daily on a quarantine tank but now with the meds have decided on 50% weekly.

I have decided to treat as per instructions(1 drop for each gallon, every other day), but instead of stoping after 3 treatments to do a 50% water change and then treat again for 3 treatments(5 days) and then change water and treat again ect...for 20 days. does this sound reasonable?

I need other recomends on meds, is Formalite II good?

Is there more I should do to treat this?

What do you think of my thoughts on treatment?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.