Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Lighting option...does this sound OK? (long)

Posted By: Cinder <lhughes@drizzle.com>
Date: Saturday, 23 February 2002, at 5:59 p.m.

I have a lighting fixture for a 5.5 gal tank. It is for an incandescent, 15 watt bulb. Inside the hood it says do not use anything rated for more than 15 watts.

I have been reading about others putting compact flourescent bulbs in incandescent strip fixtures. I have some of the spiral flourescents that can be used to replace 60 watt regular bulbs (like in a house lamp). THese bulbs say "looks like" a 60 watt bulb output), but on the bulb itself it says 13 watts, 120 volts. (I got these in a 5 pack at Costco for $19.95)

The guy at Home Depot says sure, its safe, since they say 13 watts on them. (But he didnt see the fixture) And I know they dont generate the same kind of heat as inc bulbs.

Do you think this is safe? And if so, do you think the output is worth it over my tank? (50 gal, with 2 40 watt reg. flourescents over it now. I do want to grow medium to high light plants). As I mentioned in an earlier post, even if I buy a nice All-Glass double tube fixture (reg. flourescent), there isnt enough width on top of the tank for an additional single strip. This little strip from the 5.5 gal is narrow enough that it would fit.

Do you think the output is enough? It is a very short bulb, so it doesnt cover as much tank length. Would it light a big enough area to be worth it? And would the output actually be "60 watts" or close?

Also, could I put a true 'compact flourescent' bulb in this strip?

Had enough? :-) Any advice from you DYI guys or lighting experts would be appreciated.

Headed out into the NW rain...bet you dont miss it at all, do you JL? ;-)

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.