Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Please help, clowns not doing so good

Posted By: jeff <oceanjunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Monday, 25 February 2002, at 11:08 a.m.

I've had my first tank up for about 4 months now. The first two fish I got were clown loaches. There's also 6 zebra danios, a black swordtail, and two ottos. About two weeks ago my loaches started to breath at the surface (none of the other fish did) but they looked ok and the ammonia and nitrate tested ok. They have been at the surface since then, and they are now showing more signs of disease. The problem is, the symptoms are all over the place, and I'm not experienced enough to know where to start. Maybe you could help.
One of the loaches stays up at the surface, swimming calmly, breathing fast, its fins are ragged, and it has white, noncircular, raised marks on its skin.
The other loach also swims at the surface, also now seems to be breathing heavily, but it has no physical marks on it like the other one. Unlike the other one, it seems to be swimming very fast, although it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I started using some Melafix for three days now, with little improvement. I would really appreciate some advice on how to treat these guys. One consideration I have about treatment is that I have plants in the tank. If need be, I might be able to setup a very meager hospital tank, but dont know if i'd be able to catch the loaches.
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with