Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Update on My New UV Filter

Posted By: Cybermeez <cybermeez@aol.com>
Date: Saturday, 16 March 2002, at 11:42 a.m.

The UV filter I bought earlier this week has been up and running for about 3 days now on my 30 gallon tank. It's an Aquanetics 15 watt hang-on hooked up to my H.O.T. Magnum. The UV is rated with a maximum flow rate of 480 gph and the Magnum pumps no more than 250 ghp through the unit. That means the whole tank turns over more than 8 times an hour so I should be getting pretty good exposure.

So far I've noticed that everyone EXCEPT they Corys have stopped itching and the tank temp now tends to want to be about 1.5 degrees warmer than before. I've begun running the clip on fan I usually only use in the summer to stabalize the temp. It blows across the surface of the tank and holds things between 80.1 and 80.3 degrees F.

The Corys source of irritation seems to be their gills. This