Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Kind of play?

Posted By: loaching <satter38@aol.com>
Date: Saturday, 16 March 2002, at 12:28 p.m.

Since fish don't exactly light a few candles and pour some wine, I find it hard to distinguish behaviors that relate to mating. I've been watching some odd behavior among my clowns. (BTW, I really am not managing this tank for that slender hope of breeding.) I have two clowns larger than 5 inches who are starting to show the mature white stripes. I'm assuming they are still too young for mating and I'm guessing -- based on fin curves -- that they are both males, although the one is so much more heavy-bodied, it could be female. They ignore each other. The slender one, Paleface, receives tons of attention from the smaller clowns in the tank, especially one that's just two inches. They will rub up against Paleface, and with Paleface, as many as three together will make tight turns. I have watched this for long stretches of time as they group and regroup until Paleface g