Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Moonlight and Loaches

Posted By: Cybermeez <cybermeez@aol.com>
Date: Wednesday, 20 March 2002, at 9:11 p.m.

Having noticed that my Clown Loaches seem to be most active at dawn and dusk, now that they are growing up, I decided to try an experiment.

I got myself an actinic blue bulb and put it in my light fixture (only holds one bulb at a time, grrr) just after lights out would normally occur.

Lo and behold my Clown Loaches came out from perpetual hiding and swam vigorously throughout the tank. It was really neat! All 4 swam up and down the glass tumbling and weaving over and around each other. One would then decide to shoot off to the other side of the tank and the rest scurried after him. Then they’d do the whole thing again on that side of the tank. I left the blue bulb on for about 90 minutes and they played the whole time. Even the stealth Plecos came out of hiding!

I literally sat 12 inches from my tank watching this amazing display and it was as if the fish didn't even know I was there. Is that possible given the spectrum of the blue light? Do they even see light that color or do they think it's night time, can't see anything and figure it's safe to come out and play?

My curiosity has really been piqued! Can anybdoy fill me in on this?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer w