Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Swollen Loach

Posted By: Pino <espo@look.ca>
Date: Friday, 29 March 2002, at 1:30 p.m.

Hi folks:
I posted a couple of weeks ago about a clown loach with a cut to the mouth. When I removed him from the tank to inspect him, I noticed a great deal of slime on the net. Well, I treated the water for a week with Melafix and noticed a slight improvement in his behaviour. However, he is now very swollen and his colour is quite pale in comparison to the other two. His stomach is distended and his eyes pop out a little. I don't know what else to do. In a way, I am surprised he is still alive. His respiration is still very fast. I suspect if I were to remove him, he would emit an even greater amount of clear, odoriferous slime from his body. Does anyone know what this condition is? The other think is, I haven't seen him eat so much as a flakke in weeks. I'm starting to consider euthanasia.

Any advice?