Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Fliuidized Bed Filters

Posted By: Obscured
Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2002, at 12:24 a.m.

Anyone with knowledge or experience with these biological filters ? Are they really as good as they are rated ? Specifically the one from Rainbow seems good but i find the discription about the self cleaning action of the sand a bit strange. Why clean and remove all that good beneficial bacteria that takes soooooo long to develop in the first place ? I wonder if people have the same ideas that i do. The longer one leaves a filter the better. When you think you are doing a great justice by cleaning your filter you are actually getting rid of the most important part in the aquarium (beneficial bacteria for biological filtration) so i apply this same thinking to the fluidized bed filters. Basically, most home aquatic hobbiest do not have enough or the proper knowledge and education in Chemistry and Biology to make scientific and factual decisions. So myself included, much research, help, and co