Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Kuhli Loach Pest

Posted By: Hans
Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2002, at 3:02 a.m.

Hi,

sorry to say that during the last week, I lost all my kuhli loaches and my Lepidocephalichthys thermalis due to an unknown disease. All other fish seem unaffected. The process is always like this: Without showing any signs of an external disease be it spots, fungus, tumors etc. the fish suddenly don`t appear from their hideouts at feeding time as they usually do. If I search for them I find them heavy breathing in some dark corner of the tank. This takes around 24 h then the fish loose any shyness come to the front glass shake a little bit as some kind of fever fall on the side and are gone....Not sure if this means something, but very soon after their death purple spots on the belly of the cadavers occur. This could mean internal bacterial disease but it could also be some first rotting step.

It seems noteworthy that this is a tank established with the kuhlis for over a year. No new gravel or chan