Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Clown Feeding Problem

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thursday, 25 April 2002, at 5:38 p.m.

I was wondering if any of you have clowns that are finicky eaters...to an extreme.

I have 3 clowns, some bala sharks, small tiger barbs, small mollies, small platys, and a tiny spotted cory.

When I feed ANY food, they call go crazy. But, my two bigger clowns are too shy to come out and eat with the rest of them, so they often miss out. And, they seem picky.

I started feeding flake to the general population first. A little, watch to see that it's eaten, a little more, wait again, then when things slow, add a little more that sinks to the bottom. The clowns swim around and don't really scarf them, just barely pick at them. Then, they go back to their caves. The bala "pigs" end up finishing off the flakes.

Then, I throw in frozen brine shrimp. Again, everyone goes crazy. It swirls all over the tank, then sinks. Although the big clowns seem to LOVE frozen brine shrimp, again they come out towards the end of the melee, but only get to eat what's left, which is not much.

Same thing with frozen bloodworms, which they eat a bit of because they definitely prefer the frozen brine shrimp.

I've also tried freeze-dried tubifex worms from Yardley, Yardley shrimp pellets, goldfish crumbs, tropical flakes, sinking algae wafers, and sinking wafers for loaches. I feel like a fish food store. Although the small clown will gobble pretty much everything except for the goldfish crumbs, the two big clowns together seem to eat only 1/2 of what the little loach eats.

I've even tried cucumbers and bananas. I've also devised a feeding tube to get the food slowly down as close to the clowns as I can, but if they don't eat it, then the food is concentrated on one spot on the tank bottom. While the other fish will eventually get to the clump of food and clean it up, it causes more of a mess to clean at the one spot.

Andybody have the same experience? If so, please let me know what you did to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Kelvin

Messages In This Thread