Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Pop Eye and pH Connection?

Posted By: Cybermeez <cybermeez@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2002, at 1:13 p.m.

**Posting this here too since no reply on FW board**

Yesterday I did a water change and noticed that the pH of the old water was 6.0, lower than usual. I recently added a piece of bogwood to the tank so the pH shift makes sense.

6.0 is a little low for some of my fish so I began to raise it gradually toward 6.5 with yesterday's water change. I added 6.2 buffered water and plan to go up another .2 with the next wtaer change.

This morning at feeding time I noticed that one of my neon's eyes were bulging, both of them. He's still eating as of this evening and is the only fish affected (I hope it stays that way!). I'm wondering if he's come down with something or couldn't handle even the slight pH change?

Other that the pH issue, the waster quality is very good and I run a UV on the tank so I'm a little perplexed. In the