Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

homaloptera sp. (Mia?)

Posted By: Isla <kirk_isla@hotmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 1 May 2002, at 8:08 a.m.

Just taking another look through the loach species index to try and ID the lone weirdo I have - closest I could find was Mia's photo of Homaloptera sp. My loach has this exact body shape and fins which are constantly moving but the colouration is different - the body of mine is almost completely black and only when stressed will it show slight dark grey bands round the body such as in the pattern on Mia's.

There are some others still left in the shop and I heard one of the assistants telling a customer that those and the p. cheni were in the Loricariidae family - "just like miniture plecs" - so it was sold as an algae eater in a goldfish tank. :(

Mine survived ok while I was on holiday and is now in the same tank as my p. cheni but its VERY shy and Ive yet to see it eat - any care advice for these fish would be welcome...

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.