Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Quick Cure and ICH

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2002, at 1:43 p.m.

Two days ago, I saw a couple of ICH spots show up on a clown loach and a platy. Hearing that you should attack ICH ASAP, I began treatment with QuickCure. QuickCure contains the EXACT same ingredients and parts thereof as Rid-ICH, except it's double the concentration. Therefore, the instructions say that clowns and tetras should receive 1/2 dose, and carbon should be removed, which is what I've been doing. I erred on the lesser side by one drop, just to be safe.

I raised the water temp to 85 (gradually, of course). I did a second treatment after 18 hours (rather than 24), with a 25% water change.

I have refrained from using salt, because I have peppered corys and otos, which I'm not so sure can handle the salt.

I have seen no improvement. In fact, I'm actually seeing more spots on those fish, and new spots on others, as time goes on.

I have two questions:

1) Do the new spots indication that the parasites are jumping ship? In other words, I'm hoping someone with experience here will tell me that the new spots on the fish are in fact due to the medicine working, and that the parasites are jumping out of their hosts to try and find somewhere else to hang out. The reason I ask this question is because I've previously seen posts where people say they can actually see an improvement quite quickly, which I interpret to mean they're seeing the spots disappear.

2) How long will it be until I DO see an improvement?

Thanks in advance.

Messages In This Thread