Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Modestas Out of Water!

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Friday, 14 June 2002, at 5:03 p.m.

I thought you all might get a kick out of this:

Today, before my fish's breakfast, I rearranged some plants that were getting uprooted by my blue botias, as they like to burrow under some lava rocks near the plants. I figured that while I was moving the plants, I would move the lava rocks slightly to give the blues more room.

When I stood back to admire my handiwork, the blue loaches started roaming. I figured everyone was happy, so set about feeding as usual.

I walked away for a minute or two. When I returned to the room, and went about my business, I heard what I first thought was loud clicking. Then, I heard splashing. I went over to the tank and saw my clowns and other fish eating, but no modestas. All of a sudden WHOOSH! One went speeding by. Then a few seconds later the other went flying by. I watched these two blue "clowns" having a grand old time, then I noticed one of them scurry up my uplift tube and promptly stop on top of my powerhead.

Now, my powerhead sits about 1/2 inch below the water line. When I went closer to see if the blue was stuck, I noticed the other blue zoom up behind the the first one, and knock him off the powerhead and into the tank. And, the 2nd stayed on the powerhead. I moved the tank cover to see what was going on at the powerhead, and to my astonishment, I saw that the blue loach was barely in the water. His eyes were above water, and when he saw me, he just looked at me! The only thing in the water was his mouth, lower belly, and tail, which hung off the back of the powerhead.

I stood there dumfounded, not knowing what to do, when all of a sudden the other modesta came charging up behind the loach on the powerhead, and body-slammed him right off his perch! Then the other loach sat there looking at me.

I stepped back to see what the heck was going on, and watched them play this "king of the mountain" game over and over for about 30 minutes! At times, each loach would sit virtually out of the water for at least 5 minutes! Let me tell you that his was way too cool. I've never seen or heard anything about loaches liking to be high and dry before. What a trip. I don't think anyone will really believe me. Too bad I didn't take out my video camera.

After they were done playing, I went over and adjusted my other powerhead to be 1/2 inch from the surface, too. Maybe my clown's will want to play the game, too!

Kelvin

Messages In This Thread

View Thread