Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Leprechauns, Unicorns & Full Grown Modestas

Posted By: Nic & Ric <ricw@vianet.ca>
Date: Saturday, 15 June 2002, at 2:39 p.m.

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, and now it's got me really curious. Why is it that while I've seen several photos of full grown botias of the common aquarium variety, that I've never seen one of a full grown modesta, nor have I heard of anyone raising one to more than 5" in the aquarium? Has anyone raised one much larger than this? It's tricky to safely plan our modesta complex stocking scheme when we really don't know for sure how big to expect the modestas to grow.

I've found that the general consensus here is that while clowns grow to 12" in the wild, just as the modestas do, you're lucky if they get much past 6" in the aquarium if raised from a young age. Is this the same for modestas too then, or even less? Most of the really big clowns people do have were wild caught big, such as Basil, no? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ric

Messages In This Thread