Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Smoke and mirrors in my tank! (long!)

Posted By: Tibor <tiborkun@earthlink.net>
Date: Thursday, 27 June 2002, at 11:18 a.m.

Okay, I'm VERY confused now. I thought clowns and dojos were weird, but had NO idea!

Weekend before last, I bought two modestas, as I posted here. One nicely colored, the other grey, etc. They certainly moved in and the clowns became nervous. I figured I'd give 'em a week to see how they got along.

Yesterday I noticed scratches on my clowns; they were being chased constantly. I walked by and the well-colored modesta shot out of a cave and, clicking, attacked two clowns in my seeing! How had I not noticed this before? Well, in my defense they keep running away from me because I trimmed back my plants and went from black sand to natural gravel lately so they're jumpy anyway. When I got home from work I set up a breeder net and put the modesta in that to hold it until I could swing a trip to the LFS to return him. He got out a while later, but I figured I'd do the trip tonight.

Oddity 1: I also looked for the grey one. It's gone. Not in the tank. Caves out, there are no more hiding spots. The gravel is too shallow for him to bury himself in. I looked around the tank and found no shrivelled carcass. Looked in the filters, but the fish is way too big to get in them anyway and was not there. Could he have been eaten? Saw 'em both a couple days ago in the evening.

Oddity 2: This morning, the blue one jumped out. I put him back in, in the breeder net. Okay, now I cannot return him until I nurse him back to health. Hopefully he wasn't out long, as he was flipping around, etc, and just shows fin damage. Never had a fish jump out of my tank before, though my dojo likes to "dance" on the hood and jump back in - don't ask!

So ... what's the best way to nurse a loach that thinks it's a bird back to health, and what do you all think could have become of my missing modesta?

TIA!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.