Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Loach dominance ritual?

Posted By: stripes <brown_d@kids.wustl.edu>
Date: Friday, 5 July 2002, at 10:30 a.m.

The first couple of times I saw my littlest loach do this, I thought it was my imagination, but now I think Iím really seeing it: my smallest loach (the only one of my six striata who is not plump yet) will be approached by one of the others, and he will lie over on his side for a moment, and not swim off until the other fish moves away. He is not just hanging around on his side, but is upright and busy loaching around until approached by the other fish, when he rolls to his side, and then he rolls upright again when the other fish leaves. It looks like a submissive canine presenting its belly to a dominant one. Has anyone else seen this before?

Iíve seen dominant fish chase other fish around the tank, or maybe just need to flare their fins a little to make another fish back down, but