Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

DISEASE CONTROL

Posted By: greg <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Saturday, 6 July 2002, at 6:33 p.m.

A while ago we had a debate going in regards to disease control and buying diseased fish. I remembered something I saw about 4 months ago, and I thought I would share it.

I stay away from the huge pet-stores when I buy stock. This is because I have learned to spot most diseases, and I have noticed they always have dead fish in their tanks and the tanks are not too clean. I buy most of my stock at a local small lfs, but I will go into the megastore if I am in that part of town and need a small supply-item.

About 4 months ago I went into a "mega" to buy some food for my Pleco. I was looking at the stock while I was there. I saw a 15 gallon tank stocked with about 25-30 Clowns, not bad looking little guys, about 1.5-2". Then I noticed there was ich in the tank. About 75% of the fish showed the white bumps, and several of the fish were scratching their sides on the bottom. I also noticed three dead fish at the bottom, and several at the top gasping for air. I was steaming.

About this time one of the salesgirls came over. She was like most the emplyees- about 16-17, and obviously a part-time employee. I politely informed her the tank was full of ich, and questioned whether or not it should be quarantined and the fish treated. I also questioned why the fish were being offerred for sale. She rolled her eyes, sighed, and walked away as if "another nut". The attitude was she could have cared less.

I wrote a letter to Mr. "megastore" and questioned their ethics. The next time I was in the store the tank was "quarantined", whatever that means. Almost all stores have central filtration of all the tanks, so it is hard to know if these signs mean anything. A few weeks later I came in to buy a bird-feeder, and when I checked, the fish looked somewhat better, were out of quarantine and up for sale. But some still showed ich!

This is why I will not buy stock from a "megastore" and why all my livestock spends 5 days in an iso-tank with anti-ich and wide-spectrum antibiotics. My lfs has pretty healthy stock, but even there I have purchased stock that caused disease-outbreak in my tank. Not anymore, after the iso-tank, 100% batting with no disease! GREG

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.