Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

New to Clown Loaches

Posted By: Lisa <mydogsowner@aol.com>
Date: Friday, 12 July 2002, at 1:10 p.m.

Hi everyone!

I just got my first Clown Loaches and had a question about them. I was already re-assured that this behavior was normal in a new tank, but I am still concerned about it.

They are small, only 1-1.5 inches. I have three of them. All they seem to want to do is swim frantically together. They remind me of dolphins in the way they swim together. At times they seem to want to school with my four Rummy-Nose Tetras too. They also do this thing where they look like they are juggling themselves. One will swim in between the other two, then another one will do it, etc.

They are eating, but not piggy-style like my other fish will. I found out from where I bought them that at that LFS that they were only feeding them the TetraMin Tropical Tablets. They seem finicky now.

Their color is good. I have changed the water in the tank twice in the last week, since I got them. Water quality is good.

They live with the 4 Rummy-Noses, 4 Cardinal Tetras, and 3 Marbled Hatchetfish. They are the largest fish in the tank. I have live plants in the tank, and fake ones floating on the top of the water. I have 2 cave-like structures in there for them, which they hardly go into to.

Is this swimming pattern normal? Will they ever relax? Will their appetite for other foods pick-up? Am I changing the water too often?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.